Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Suffering from migraines, dried blood in ear after having surgery for removal of arachnoid cyst. Serious?

I had brain surgery in 2006 to remove an Arachnoid Cyst from behind my eye. The surgeon made a large cut from the top of my scalp all the way behind my left ear. Things have been going ok, regualar MRI scans, but I do suffer from Migraines. I have been having some of the worst migraines ever these past few days and I looked in the mirror today and saw dried blood in my left ear, the same side that my surgery and cyst were, should I be concerned???
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Neurologist 's  Response
Thanks a lot for posting thsi question in HCM

You basically have two sets of problem and let me deal each
1. Coming to headache which you feel migraines. I want to tell you form the beginning that a given medical problem can have various causes. Headache can similarly due to multiple problem like migraine, cluster heacahe, head trauma, brain infectuion or tumor or problem in the blood vessels of the brain. So in a given case the physician attempts to find out the cause and treat it accordingly. Back to your problem as you alrday had MRI and you have been diagnosed as having migraine you will benefit for the following approach
First of all you try to findout what brings the attack (like lack of sleep, stress, coffee, prefumes etc) and if you can modify this will be of gtrat help. During thensevere attack the medicines which you can have are paracetamol, sumatriptan nasal spray (provided you donot have heart problem), other analgesics. The medicines which will benefit for alongterm are sodium valproate, propranolol, topiramate
2. The second problem dry blood in the left ear. Note that this dry blood could be due to minir local trauma. I will advise you to get examined by a physician who will establish if there is anything serious or not. In the absence of any other symptoms i donot feel that you need to worry

Hope it clarifies
Answered: Mon, 14 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor