Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suffering from high BP and cholesterol. How to control it?

Hello sir, I am kamal my age is 32 yrs. I am suffring with high triglycride or VLDL with pre hypertension .... Lipid profile reports are(1) Cholrstrol 205mg (2) triglycride 411 mg (3) Hdl 69mg (4) Ldl 54mg (5) VLDL 82mg, & my normal Blood Pressure is 130/90 and more. Today doctor advice me Tab. Tonac-tg 1 od, i never took any type of medecine before for tg or high Bp. Pls advice me what i will do in this condition.
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
hello kamal,
if you have high blood pressure with high cholestrol level as u told then should continue or start medicine for both. you can start atorvastin 10 mg daily for cholestrol and losartan-50 mg for BP.regularly check your BP and cholestrol level once in month.
Answered: Tue, 1 Jan 2013
General & Family Physician Dr. Kulbir Singh's  Response
Hello and welcome
This is the right age from where we can take precautions to prevent heart attack or Coronary Artery Disease. High BP and High lipid components are risk factors of CAD.
Now about the decision of taking medication. You have to take medications for such a high lipid components to prevent yourself from future complications. Once the cholesterol is normalized by medication you can maintain it by lifestyle and diet changes. But if it is genetic than you have to take the medication for life time. Changes you can follow to control lipid components are:
1. Stop Smoking and Alcohol in any form.
2. Avoid all type of fatty and oily food
3. Take baked food as much as you can.
4. Reduce your weight if you are overweight.
5. Do regular exercise for about 45 minutes daily.
6. Restrict salt intake.

Hope this will help you.
Best Wishes
Answered: Mon, 31 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
Basic treatment of dyslipidemia is decided by LDL and presence of risk factors according to ATP III guidelines.
Are you smoker?
Although your LDL is just 54 mg while triglycerides is 411, you should continue Tonact -TG for coming 3-4 months and go for repeat lipid profile after 3 months.
TG must be
You should remain in touch with your treating physician and should avoid high fat diet.
You should also loosen your weight (if overweight/ obese) and should perform physical activity.
At least 30 minutes of brisk walk is required 5 days in a week.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Tue, 1 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response

Welcome to HCM

You are only 32 years,take care of all risk factors,If you are overweight try to maintain ideal weight.

If you smoke or drink ( Alcohol) please stop both.

Your Lipid profile is showing mainly high triglyceride level hence take care of diet and regular physical exercise should be taken up.As BP is on higher side reduce salt take fresh fruits and green vegetables.

In such case diabetes should be checked periodically by FBS and PPBS,and also check family history.

Next time get a Extended Lipid profile which includes Apolipoprotein a and b, LP(a) and Homocysteine levels.

Please take care of life style changes and diet and you can take prescribed medicine and can recheck Lipid profile after 2 months. The drug contains Atorvastatin and Finofibrate combination.

If you BP remains persistantly high you may have to take drug.

Take care

Good Luck
Answered: Tue, 1 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor