Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Suffering from hiatus hernia, vomiting, weight loss, unable to eat. Endoscopy done. Advised surgery for recovery. Suggessions?

hello doctor, I am, my dad is suffering from Hiatus hernia , he s puking very badly, loss of weight, unable to eat anything, we consultated doctor in St John s hospital bangalore , after endoscopy results they said nothing to be worried, but my dad still goes through severe vomitting, we consulted near by doctor with the reports in our home town, he said they surgery should be done as soon as possible, am really confused and worried. pls tell me what to do
Asked On : Wed, 17 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  103
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Your father is having hiatus hernia,it is of two types1)Sliding Oesophageal Hiatus hernia 2) Para Oesophageal Hiatus hernia.
Large and long standing hernia can cause GORD ( Gastro Oesophageal Reflux) in which acidic content are regurgitated in Oesophagus and can cause vomiting ,heart burn, some times cgest pain.
Treatment consist of acid reduction in stomach and prevent any regurgitation.
You should consult a good Gastroenterologist if it is sliding type it can be treated and other type para Oesophageal one sometimes gets strangulated and bleeding can occur and needs surgical corection.
So management depend on exactly which type of Hiatus hernia he is having .
Hope this information helps you .
Good luck to you.

Answered: Wed, 17 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Kulbir Singh's  Response
Hello Nandu and thanks for the query
Surgery is the choice of treatment in Hiatus Hernia, if it is unresponsive to the reasonable doses of medicines.
As you have explained the vomiting is severe and your father is loosing weight, you have to go for surgery as soon as possible. You can give a another trial with medications (if not given earlier) by consulting your treating doctor. If it fails than you have to finally go for suergery.
Best Wishes
Answered: Wed, 17 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor