Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suffering from filariasis problem. Suggest treatment for swelling?

Hi, My mother is suffering from filariasis problem since 2001, and because of this her right leg is effected & swlled. We have been using homeopathic & English medicine since 2001 but no cure. Kindly advise us on treatment details & Surgery Details also please suggest us My mother age: 55 years Country: INDIA City: mumbai
Asked On : Sun, 7 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Diethylcarbamazine (DEC) was the earlier drug used in the treatment of Filariasis as it kills both micofilaria & adult worms. But this is not very effective in prevention or treatment of acute attacks in chronic patients . Current treatment is a combination of Ivermectin 200 micro grams/kg and Albendazole 400mg both given as a single oral dose every six to twelve months. Ivermectin kills microfilaria & Albendazole kills adult worms. However for leg swelling compression elastocrepe bandages and limb elevation after removing bandages during night will help. Surgical procedures are excisional surgery & skin grafting; lymph nodo venous shunts.
Answered: Tue, 12 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor