Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Suffering from epileptic attacks. Taking oxetol, zonicep. Need stronger medication

Sir,My brother is epileptic since he was 10 years old as past history he was in coma for 1 months & after Epilepsy occured.Many years he has been into medicine of anti epileptic where for last 3 yrs he is continuing with Oxetol 600, Frisium 10mg,Zonicep 100mg, Since the attack was regularly arising we have consultant with which his dosage has increased by oxetol 750 TID,Frisium 15 TID,Zonicep 100 BID with addition of Encorate crono 500 BID.Taking this medicine my brother is not responding with it where Epilectic attack during the sleeping night has increased. Respected Sir, Kindly guide us with your suggestion.He is 80 kg age 26 male. Regards Akhilesh Singh 0000
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  65
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Hi Mr Akhilesh Singh,

Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic regarding your brother's epilepsy problem.

Epilepsy is a chronic problem and requires medications for long time, sometimes even life long.

About 70-80% of epilepsy cases get controlled with anti-epileptic drugs, however the remaining 20-30% may not get well controlled with medications. These cases may require brain operation to control the seizures.

You need to show your brother to a good center with expertise in epilepsy surgery for further evaluation, as already he is on very high dose of medicines.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)

Senior Consultant Neurologist

Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,

My personal URL on this website:

My email:
Answered: Fri, 29 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
management of epilepsy requires careful monitoring and adjustment of anti epileptic drugs. Depending on the seizure type, depending on the clinical, Ct scan if done and electroencephalographic findings, a particular type of epileptic syndrome is identified and appropriate drugs prescribed. This dosage is increased gradually until the maximum is reached and addition of other anti epileptic drugs if necessary. Compliance to treatment and avoidance of particular seizure triggers is very necessary. Resistant epilepsy to drugs might require epilepsy surgery. Consult a neurologist/epileptologist for the management of drug resistant epilepsy.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Fri, 29 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor