Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suffering from disc slip, strong pulling sensation in lower back. Is surgery recommended?

Hello Doctor,

This is Lavanya. My Mother, 43 years of age is suffering from disc slip problem. She is having a "Strong pull" sensation in her lower back. She is suffering from this from past 7 to 8 years. She took all types of medicines like homeopathy, ayurvedic and even the pain killer tablets, but of no use. Can you please suggest- how correct is to go for an surgery ?
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  39
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query
Your mother is suffering from slip disc which causes pressure over nerve roots. There are several modes of treatment like medicines,physiotherapy, epidural injections.
If there is no improvement with conservative treatment, surgery is another option by which pressure over nerve roots relieved by removal of bulging disc (disectomy).
Hope this will helps you
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Munish Sood's  Response
1. what actually you mean by slip (herniated, ruptured or prolapsed)???
2. This 'slip' has resulted in leaking of the fluid present inside the spinal cord to come outside and causing pressure on the neighboring nerves causing pain,numbness,weakness around the damaged disc or areas supplied y the nerve.
3. you haven't mentioned about the symptoms for which she took various medications and the cause of slip disc, are bladder-bowel function normal?
4. is MRI spine been carried out, if yes was there any Edema suggested in the picture, because that requires surgery.
5. at her age, Osteoporosis s also equally responsible for her LBA, sometimes women tend to loose calcium in their early thirties (early Osteoporosis) check her Bone mineral density along with X-ray of LS spine.
6. If edema is not there, you can go with Ayurveda Panchkarma Procedure "Kati Basti" which helps in lessening of the inflammation,and herniation, reducing the spasms and nerve compression and re hydrating the Disc (s).
Answered: Mon, 8 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Packriswamy Sambangi's  Response
Hallo, Lavanya,
Welcome to HCM.
A slipped disc or herniated disc does not actually pop out of place in the vertebral column, as popularly believed, but bulges out and places pressure on the spinal column, leading to pain and discomfort.
If you have lower back pain from a slipped disc, look to exercise as treatment.
Streching exercise work best to reduce pain, while strengthening exercise are best for improving function.
The Cat - Cow exercise is a fusion of two yoga poses.
But it is generally agreed that a slipped disc should be treated conservatively, with surgery being considered only when other approaches to treatment have failed.
Whether to have an operation or not is a decision for a specialist.
Answered: Sun, 7 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor