Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Suffering from depression. Not taking medication. Need help

my husband 55 and suffered from depression since his late teens. he does not want to admit to the obvious depression. he tries to conseal it without medicaton however goes through moodiness often. he does not get physical or take it out on anyone, he just become reclusive. since he won t address with his physican are there tips, food and vitamins to enhance mood naturally. thanks
Asked On : Tue, 11 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for query. It is unlikely that depressive disorder lasts this long continously. I consider the possibility of depressive temperament/ dysthymia (mild depression) as likely possibilities in his case. Yoga, daily exercises and food containing omega-3 fatty acids (eg fish) are proved to have benefit in depression. Nevertheless, i would suggest you convince him to undergo psychiatric evaluation once. Hope you find my suggestions useful.
Dr Sundar Gnanavel
Answered: Fri, 4 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Dear Jaharrij,
Hi! Its a bit unusual for a depressive disorder to last for this long as mostly the disorder mostly remits after some time, though there are some depressive disorders which stay for this long. What is not clear is that whether the diagnosis of depression was told to you by your husband or the psychiatrist himself? In case the depression is not coming down, there are multitude of different treatment regimes which could benefit your husband. Folic acid, a vitamin, can help to some extent. Exercise and meditation surely have a documented benefit in resistant depression.
Hope it helps in solving your query.
Answered: Tue, 11 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor