Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Suffering from dental abscess. Will amoxicillin, flucloxacillin or erythromycin help in treating the infection?

Hi, I am currently suffering from what I believe is a dental abcess. I am not registered with a dentist at the moment and I have various antibiotics and wondered which would be best to try and treat the infection until I can get myself a dentist. I have got amoxicillin , flucloxacillin or erythromycin? Could you help please?
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012
Answers:  5 Views:  6832
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
  Anonymous's Response
dental abscess mainly arises from the grossly carious didn't mentioned any thing regarding carious tooth.

the correct line of treatment of dental abscess would be root canal therapy/treatment of the affected should consult a dentist as soon as possible....get an IOPAR (x-ray) of the affected tooth done.

the medication would only provide you the temporarily relive from the symptoms. you can take amoxicillin along with any anti-inflammatory drug.....but consult a dentist for permanent relive.
Answered: Tue, 25 Dec 2012
Dentist Dr. Yadav Rohitesh's  Response
first line of treatment of dental abcess is establish drainage.... by RCT or extraction... so u should go for treatment ... if there sinus is establish.... so warm salt water gargle u can start .... amox u can use with matronidazole.... becoz most of dental infection is anerobic .. so metronidazole tinidazole is there....
Answered: Mon, 10 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Hi Lauren,
Thanks for writing in.
I read your problem,I would like to tell you that in case of dental abscess you have to take antibiotics,painkillers and multivitamins.
You can take amoxicillin,and can perform betadin mouthwash twice daily.
I will suggest you please do not try so many medicines and for permanent treatment visit a dentist in your area as soon as possible.
Take care
Dr. Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Mon, 10 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
If you can’t take dental help due to financial problems or some other problem, then you can do warm saline rinses and can use clove or clove oil for some temporary relief. Ibuprofen, motrin, acetaminophen pain medicines can be used . Mouth washes and peroxide flushes will also provide some relief . Antibiotics can also be taken for temporary relief of periodontal abscess. Some of these natural remedies for gum diseases will provide some relief. These modalities can be used for temporary pain relief only. To treat the infection, you have to visit your dentist.
Answered: Mon, 10 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I would like to tell you that best way to get relief is get drainage of abscess followed by its treatment like RCT or extraction of teeth.Regarding medicines you need to take amoxicillin group of drug along with analgesic & antacid if acidity problem persists.
Do betadine gargles twice a day.
Consult your dentist for treatment

Take Care
Answered: Sat, 22 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor