Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Suffering from cold, cough, diagnosed as pollen allergy. Using levofin, vicks. Permanent cure for allergy?

my son is 19 years old he got cold and cough , cough gets worse at night he cant sleep took him to the doctor twice first doctor said it is pollen allergy and mild throat infection only prescribed muconyl and bronochol but he said cough even more later doctor prescribed Levofin 500mg but cough is still there with same intensity, he could not sleep whole night. I started rubbing vicks and giving him steam he feels better for 1 hour or so and then starts coughing again. please help.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
your son has acute infection which has increased his symptoms looking at his coughing i would say there are chances that he has broncho constriction which is causing breathing problem and excessive coughing. for his infection let him take antibiotics but for his cough your doctor may have to start him with a broncho dilator inhaler or at least tablets.
now coming to the allergy part , treatment has to be in step wise manner
first if his symptoms is for few months a year like 2-3 months then you start an antihistamine which he has to take daily at night. if your symptoms still persist then your start using steroid nasal spray, it has no side effect and it controls the allergy very well and you should start 2 weeks before his symptoms start. if this also does not cure you.
then get yourself tested for allergy, it is called skin prick test you will know what you are allergic to, then if possible you can avoid the allergen or you can start treatment called immunotherpy. this is currently the best treatment available and your symptoms will easily reduce by 80-90 percent kindly visit your ent specialist he will guide you further and immunologist he will do skin prick test and immunotherapy
thank you
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor