Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suffering from cirrhosis of liver with splenomegaly and ascites, swelling in stomach and legs. Solution?

i am suffering from cirrhosis of liver with splenomegaly and ascites ...can i get some solutions for this..??? i used to drink 1 liter of alcohol per day aprrox.....i am drinking form past 25 years... my legs n stomach have swelling and i also have pain in my stomach..... the size of my liver increased by 17.1...and i also have jaundice ... plz get me some solution for this doctor???
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  114
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, nisha,
I am sorry that your drinking problem caused significant damage
to your liver. Yours is an advanced stage of liver disease with
cirrhosis and also what is called "Portal Hypertension" which is the
reason for build of fluid in the belly and also legs.
You need to have a complete blood examination including blood count,
coagulation studies, kidney and complete liver tests .
We have to make sure that you are not anemic from blood loss which
can happen with ruptured veins in the esophagus and stomach. This is
very serious. You can also go into a "Coma" (Hepatic Coma ) which could
be fatal.
I am sure by now , you have stopped drinking any alcohol.
You need to see a gastroenterologist who can perform the necessary tests
and put you on a treatment program. This would include dietary measures,
restricting proteins and salt intake. You may require "water pills " or diuretics
to make you lose fluid build up, you may need drug to prevent you from
going into coma (Encephalopathy) and medications to prevent bleeding from
the varices (Enlarged veins) by the use of some Beta Blocker drug. You may need
endoscopy to look for these veins and if there is active bleeding they may have
to place clips or do banding procedure to stop the bleeding. There are other
procedures that can be done to control fluid build up with the use of "Shunts" etc.
You really need to sit down with your doctor and discuss all these.
This is a serious problem and I urge you to take care as soon as possible.
I wish you the very best.
Answered: Sat, 23 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Sohail Quazi 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
Excessive chronic alcohol use can cause several different types of chronic liver disease, including alcoholic fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis, and alcoholic cirrhosis.
Chronic alcohol use can produce fibrosis of the liver in the absence of accompanying inflammation and/or necrosis. When fibrosis reaches a certain degree, there is disruption of the normal liver architecture and replacement of liver cells by regenerative nodules leading to cirrhosis of liver.
Frequent findings include Jaundice,parotid gland enlargement, , muscle wasting, or the development of edema and ascites.
Abstinence is the cornerstone of therapy for patients with alcoholic liver disease. In addition, patients require good nutrition and long-term medical supervision to manage underlying complications that may develop.
Complications such as the development of ascites and edema, variceal hemorrhage,etc all require specific management and treatment.
So please stop taking Alcohol and consult a gastroenterologist for your ascites and jaundice and other complications so that progression of your disease can be stopped at the right time.
Wishing you good health.

Answered: Sat, 23 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor