Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

141 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffering from bronchitis pneumonia and chest pain. Taking penicillin but not satisfied with the treatment

Hi, i wrote to you a week ago re chest problem s. You advised me i had a chest infection so i went to my gp who confirmed this and gave me penicillin 500mg. I have 2 more tablets left out the course and my symptom s are still here. I am 47yrs old, regular sufferer of bronchitis pneumonia . The last time i had bronchitis was week before last xmas. It was a very bad dose of it. I have since been wheezing on and off which doesn t normally happen between attacks. I am coughing up very thick tar like phlegm and when i cough the smell is foul and i get a pain on my right side of chest. The wheeze is on the right as i can feel it with my hand. The wheeze is here all the time and is on breathing in and out. What can this be. Thank you Karen
Wed, 18 May 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
General & Family Physician 's  Response
you are suffering from acute bronchitis with asthmatic type of wheezing.
Some times due to eosinophilia similar picture is found.
Go for blood TC,DC,ESR. after the report we can idea about treatment.
I think you are required higher antibiotic than penicillin and anti asthmatic drugs.
If eosinophilia is there simple treatment with Di ethyl carbamazine tablet will give you dramatic result.
ok and bye.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My 5 year old son has an extensive history including hopitalizations for pneumonia and bronchitis. I took him to the ER and his SpO2 was 94% upon arrival with a 102.3 oral temp. They stated he had decreased breath sounds and had a chest x-ray performed. He cried throughout the x-ray and was unable to hold still. They stated his x-ray came back normal however the actual report stated that he had crowded bronchovascular markings in the right infrahilar region. They placed him on Omnicef as the dx was bilateral otitis media and fever unspecified. He has been taking the abx for 4 days now. He is complaining of some chest pain and is really not getting any better. Is the bronchovascular markings to be of concern as he is not getting better?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 68 yr female. Quit smoking in 1988--at 1 pack cigarettes/day. General History: bronchitis and pneumonia 1975. I have walked over a mile every day up until 2005. Chest has been clear with no cough or sputum. I saw my family Dr 2 weeks ago with the problem of chest pain and shortness of breath with moderate exercise/activity. Chest was clear and no cough.I have been experiencing this for 1 year but on a lesser has been getting worse the last 4 months. EKG in office was normal. Chest x-rary displayed HYPERINFLATION OF LUNGS. I was diagnosed with ADULT ONSET STILL S DISEASE in 2006-- 1st symptoms extreme wrist pain lt wrist started in 2003-- which carpal bones had bone loss about 30% and complete fusion of left wrist by 2006. I was started on KINERET INJECTIONS od s/c---- July 2006. My symptoms at this time were extremely severe. I had been sleeping in a recliner chair for over a year as I could not get my breath laying down.I could only walk 50 feet with dyspnea.I had difficulty swallowing,laryngitis daily,swollen lymph nodes all around my neck----- felt like suffocating . I was hospitalized for 2 months --- May 2006 to July 2006--- hi spiking temperature 104F, salmon raised rash lower trunk and thighs,weight loss over 1 year 55 pounds(dropped to 90 punds),blood tests showed up indicative as a severe infection(but no infection was present),low RBC count(required 2 blood transfusions). I became almost symptom-free after Kineret injections commenced--- blood work was normal within 24 hours. My breathing was normal after starting Kineret. I experience most of the systemic symptoms of AOSD --- almost daily sore throat,extreme fatigue,joint and soft tissue pain,especially wrists and feet. WHENI stop taking my Kineret injections all of the above symptoms become extremely bad within 40 hours of missing 1 dose.--- especially breathing and swallowing. Can this HYPERINFLATION OF LUNGS be related to my ADULT ONSET STILL S DISEASE?? Sheila H

doctor1 MD

I have been sick for five weeks, I had pneumonia or bronchitis my doctor said. Three weeks later I wasn t better so I went to doctor and had spatum test and she said I had significant ammounts of strep in my spatum. I have chest pains and burning in my lungs, dizziness, caughing and a lot of mucus. I don t really understand what strep is and if this is serious

Recent questions on  Eosinophilia

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have a 1 year and a half old son that has a normal WBC count, low rbc count, low hemoglobin and normal platelet count. He has fevers as well and has experience seizures. The IMP is normocytic normochromic anemia with mild eosinophilia. His urine exam is as follows Albumin- nil, sugar- nil, pus cells 1-2, rbcs-nil, casts- nil, crystals-n, epithelial cells- occasional and bacteria- nil

doctor1 MD

Major Points of my Blood Report :

Platelets : 191000
Total WBC 5400

Lymphocytes : 25 % (1350)
Eosinophil : 16 % (864)

My Blood Report is having following comments.

P. S. (Overview) :

Mild Eosinophilia
Few Activated Lymphocytes seen

What does this report indicates ?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I've been diagnosed with Chronic Urticaria , i get Hives (red/white) on my palms and effects gets spread to all over the body, if i don't take Attarx (25mg), this has been since 4-5 years and i'm quite frustrated with this, it occurs 2-3 days....

doctor1 MD

Hi I am suffering from salty sputum and lung congestion and also runny nose. currently I am using nexito plus since 20 days for panic attacks.

doctor1 MD

CAN U PLZ ADVISE WHAT IS SNOWFELIA. i hv got mysef checked by various doctors and all tests carried out. no negative results found. suffering from very bad cough with greenish bulgum especially early morning. had lots of medicines but it is growing continuosly with lots of irritation. about 15 - 20 yrs back i had positive symptoms of snowfelia. what tests should i carry out to find if i m suffering from this decease only. plz advise

doctor1 MD

Respected doctor, My daughter is twelve and half, she is suffering since her fifth age by this eosinophilia ,she has been suffering about every six months,since it affected first time,when it comes she suffers to get normal breath and chest , stomach comes up and down Please tell us the reason, and advise us medication to cure.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have had a cough for almost three months, it was really bad and was diagnosed asashmatic bronchitis . The cough is almost gone, it is just a dry tickly cough hear and there now. It is worse when I lay on my stomach or when I am out i ncold...