Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Suffering from bipolar disorder, paranoia, acting very strangely. Cure for symptoms?

As a parent, where can I get help for my 25 year old son who has Bipolar and Paranoid Disorder. He is in denial about his problem and is acting very bizarre and wont take his meds. He has no health insurance. Im hoping that there is some kind of goverment medical assistance. If not, we are willing to help him financially to some degree
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
The most important thing is if he is bipolar than his paronia will b secondary to grandiosity so dont get confused.Assuming he to b bipolar imp thing is the patient is not aware of the illness called as insight.........thus he lacks insight thatswhy not take medicine .So u should try to give medicine through drinking water or food .Many drugs now a days come in dissolving form without any taste or odour.To get gov assistance do admit him in gov mental institute and the most imp thing.... first accept and keep ur emotions away for sometime and admit him under care of Psychiatrist.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. The alternatives for drug non-compliant patients include depot injections, anti-psychotics in suspension/ mouth dissolving forms and involuntary in patient admission. He would require atleast short-term institutionalisation. If finance is a constraint, govt. mental institutes can be approached. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor