Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

152 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffering from avascular necrosis in both the hip joints. Is there any treatment available for this ?

Hi...My husband is 35 years old and suffering from avascular necrosis in both the hip joints (left more than right)from last 2 years.Initially doctors were saying not to worry as blood circulation will get restored itself..he was taking pain killers twice a day. But now pain is aggrevated a lot and the same doctor is saying him to go for joint replacement.Please tell me is there any other treatment for Avascular Necrosis? I have heard about Ayurveda treatment is best for AVN..Please advice me what should I do?
Mon, 26 Mar 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
Dear Humera
Definitely there are medicines in ayurveda that improve the condition like avascular necrosis. The name itself is explanatory of the disease , the necrosis is due to reduced blood supply. How much damage to bone is there and in what time span. shilajit , ashwagandha and punarnava are known to improve blood supply and there are medicines that offer good repair of the damaged bone. what about other conditions such as diabees and hypertension.
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Anand Babu M's  Response
welcome to health care magic

AVN is usually common in aged patients,

better to avoid surgery at this age.. continue with medications..

hip replacement is the last option..
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Devidas Vellodi's  Response
There are ayurveda medicines to increase the circulation.

But it depends upon the severe cases ayurveda oil therapies will help to increase the muscle strength which is needed for surgery.

It is always recommended to go for ayurveda before surgery
I find this answer helpful
Homeopath Dr. Dhara Shah's  Response
hi welcome to hcm.see its a case of a vascular necrosis so surgery is only treatment to prevent further damage don't go for alternative tretament.
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
Dear Humera,
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum,
AVN or Avascular Necrosis is not the common thing and it occurs generally due to interruption in blood supply to specific organ.Due to lack of oxygenation to particular region it starts to become lifeless and this process depends on the level of lack of blood supply and also on the collateral blood supply which is good or deficient.
What can be done in such a case?
This is not the infection or gangrene which can spread and should need immediate surgical intervention for replacement of the part just for pain.There are chances of revascularisation of the region and hence protecting the affected part.As you have mentioned that your husband is having pain ,but he is able to move so it means that his hip joint is not damaged upto that much level that it cannot support the bod weight.

There are certain medications in homeopathy which can increase the blood perfusion to all over the body and also the affected part so it will help in protecting the hip joint and when sufficient blood supply is established his hip joint will become stable to bear the weight and that too without pain.

For this you must consult your nearest homeopath for further help,

Wish you speedy recovery,
dr jignesh parmar
Homeopath Dr. Swati Ramkumar's  Response
Hello Humera,

AVN is a disease where there is cellular death of the bone components due to interruption of the blood supply to the affected part. You have not mentioned the cause of avascular necrosis in your husband. The amount of disability that results from avascular necrosis depends on what part of the bone is affected, how large an area is involved, and how effectively the bone rebuilds itself.In the course of avascular necrosis, however, the healing process is usually ineffective and the bone tissues break down faster than the body can repair them. Hence, I feel homeopathy or any other system of medicines would have limited scope in such conditions and you should definetely take a second opinion from another orthopedic(Surgical intervention) . As sooner you take action the better as your husband is just 35 yrs .
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....