Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suffering from anxiety, unwanted thoughts while alone. Should I see a specialist?

hi i am suffering from anxienty and unwanted thoughts of harming myself and my children these thoughts only come on if i am really tired and if i am in my house with my kids at night on my own. if other people are with me at nitght i am fine it is only when i am on my own.i have a great doctor and am seeing a councillar but he does not specialize in cbt . would i be better to see somebody who specializes in cbt to help me with my anixety and unwanted thoughts. to hurt my children or myself is the worst thing i could ever imagine. i feel like i am going mad. i would appreciate any advice. sincerly, valerie
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

The symptoms you have mentioned like unwanted intrusive thoughts of harming yourself and children are part of anxiety disorder. They are commonly seen in OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder.
For treatment you should consult a Psychiatrist. Medicines like SSRI as Fluoxetine, Sertaline, Fluvoxamine, Paroxetine are very useful in such obsessional thoughts.
Cognitive Behavior Therapy is equivalent to medicines in efficacy. CBT by a trained psychologist is needed.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Answered: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sundar Gnanavel's  Response
Thanks for your query. These repeated/unwanted thoughts are chaacteristic of OCD/Obsessive compulsive disorder. The treatment consists of:
1. Anti-obsessive agents like fluoxetine/clomipramine
2. Psychotherapy techniques like ERP/exposure and response prevention
A combination therapy always works better than either of them alone. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Wed, 27 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor