Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suffering from anxiety disorder, what therapy should i take ?

My name is kayla. i am 21 years old and i have been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder since i was 12 years old. i am a previous drug addict (pain meds and heroin) i have been clean now for a year. my anxiety is severly affecting my ability to function in everyday life. i have taken benzodiazepines from friends and family members who are medical profesionals. they work and nothing else has seemed to. since i am a previous drug addict i can not find a doctor that will perscribe me drugs of that classification. is there a way to ask for them without looking like a drug seeker or is there another medication that actss like a benzodiazepine that i can take? my anxiety is taking over my life and i need to get it under control. now! please help me! i have taken: zoloft neurontin paxil serequil and other medications like these. i have also tried herbal medicine and accupuncture. none of which worked, not suprisingly. i have tried therapy and counseling to try to find where my anxiety is coming from and stop it that way, i have even tried some strange type of sleep therapy. I am not against alternative methods that i have not tried but when i have tried so many and all have faild it gets discouraging.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Apr 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  170
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for the question with god description of your case. I do understand your effort and discourage. Response to medications in GAD is usually not very good. To my mind, alternatively, you may be suffering from anxious avoidant personality disorder. However, if your diagnosis is GAD for sure, you need to use the drug in adequate dose for an adequate period ( may be 2-3 months) with good compliance along with CBT, RELAXATION THERAPY, activity scheduling all to be started simultaneously and continued concomitantly. Non-pharmacological measures have might work better than medications in some cases. If it is anxious avoidant personality disorder, expectation need to be lowered, but with continuous professional guidance dysfunction arising out of your condition can be better. Wish you good luck.
Answered: Sat, 25 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Keerthish Shetty's  Response
I agree with Dr Padhy completely. Apart from that, it is important to address any kind of stress in your life (personal/professional etc). Such continuous stress, if present, can maintain the anxiety disorder and make it non responsive to treatment.
Answered: Sat, 25 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor