Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Suffering from anemia, hair fall, bruising easily. Taking irospan. Low iron levels. Treatment?

i had anemia my doctor says it s fine now ,i also had rny surgery in 2005 i want to know how i can bring my ferritin level up it was 0.9 and after weeks of irospan it got to 17 but i feel that i still way to low my doctor don t agree how can the numbers be such a wide range 0.8 - 250.0 whose to say that i feel fine when mine is below 20 my hair is falling out and i bruse easy,and i m so tired no matter what i tried to tell my dr. from what i read most dr.s like to see it at 100 what do you think.sorry but i don t have any money at all i had to stop working due to being so sick ,thank you anyway
Asked On : Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  183
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
If you had a RnY surgery you are not able to absorb iron taken by mouth (most iron is absorbed in the duodenum, which is bypassed in a Roux en Y surgery). Ferritin is still low, but the best test is to get your iron saturation. You also need your hemoglobin checked.
You will probably need iron infusions regularly until you get to normal levels, and then just every once in a while. Also make sure you get your vitamin B12 shots, and other vitamin supplements.
Answered: Sun, 22 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor