Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suffering from UTI infection, dehydration. Ultrasound report states about kidney. What is it about, how to cure this?

HI, My mother has been suffering from UTI infection and the reason was dehydration.
She has been keep visiting doctors but still not well. Today she got ultrasound and in report the following mentioned :
dilated calyces rs. kidney.

What is the reason and treatment for this. Please advice

Thanks in advance for your advise.
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Good evening,
Frequent UTI is common in females due to various anatomical and physiological reasons.
Since you have not mentioned age of your mother, So it is little bit difficult to reach exact reason but in USG(ultrasound) there is dilation in calyx, so probably there is an obstruction in urinary tract either it is in ureter or urinary bladder or urethra.
Obstruction can be of any type like minor ureteric stone or scaring or stricture in the ureter or urethra, dehydration is a add on reason to these.

So please ask mother to do followings:

proper hydration.
do not hold urine for long due to any reason.
take antibiotics as prescribed by physician
urologist opinion.
ultrasound KUB
X-ray KUB
plan for invasive cystoscopy if needed.
Answered: Wed, 19 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor