Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Suffering from UTI. Told bladder infection due to prostate infection. Don't want to take long term medicines. Suggestions?

Hi Doctor I am 67 and suffering from UTI every once a while. When happens I take Cipro 500 Mg for one week and things go back to normal. My prostate is 35 gr. It starts giving me high blood pressure . I don t know if that is due to med. My doctor believes bladder infection is due to prostate infection and recommends I take SMZ-TMP DS tab for life time. I am not much into long term drugs and wondering if that can help. Can you give me a hint. Thanks Mike
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Enlargement of prostate can indeed result in recurrent infections by putting pressure on the urethra (which helps drain the urine externally), thus resulting in slow moving or even stagnant urine, that helps in bacteria building up, and finally resulting in an infection.

This will lead to recurrent infections, and thus treating it once will not help. Your doctor has advised one of the two possibilities to rid you of your trouble. These are:
1. Continuous intake of antibiotics to prevent and treat any infection. As long as the prostate is enlarged and continues to enlarge with age, the infection will occur
2.Treatment of the prostate either with medication (again long-term) or surgical removal of part of the prostate, which will solve both problems of an enlarged prostate as well as prevent the occurrence of all future infections caused by the enlarged prostate

I hope this guidance is what you were looking for. Do discuss the possibilities with your doctor. The surgical procedure you could go ahead with is called TURP (transurethral resection of prostate). It is a minor and effective procedure with a recovery time of 3-7 days.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor