Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Suffering from GERD, upper respiratory infection, throat pain, irritation. What should I do?

Hi, I have suffered from GERD for a few years but have never really been formally treated by a doctor for it besides using OTC meds such as prilosec . Recently, I had an upper respiratory infection and although my symptoms have cleared up, I still have some congestion/drainage which is causing me to cough/throat clear. I ve noticed that I have a stuck in the throat feeling accompanied by a little bit of pain, and I m not sure whether this is due to throat irritation from the drainage or because of many years of GERD. I m at a little bit of a loss at what to do. Should I wait a few days to see if this clears up or go ahead and see a doctor?
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  56
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Since this has been a chronic long term issue , it would be ideal to see doctor.Even your upper respiratory tract infection can be due to aspiration secondary to GERD. Prilosec will act on acid production and not on GERD. You need drugs to control GERD. If symptoms demand doctor might want to get few investigations like chest xray, barium swallow and endoscopy done before suggesting treatment.

Answered: Mon, 25 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor