Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Suffering from GERD. Recurrent throat infections. Taking rabeprazole and domperidone. Feeling tired. Need help

Dear Doctor, I am suffering from GERD for the last 12 years. My gastroenterologist started with Omeprazole then Esomeprazole and now he prescribed me Rabeprazole+ Domperidone combination. I have been taking the medication all these years continuously. My weight stays around 60kgs. For the last one year I get recurrent throat infections and almost every month and I need to take antibiotics. I am on restricted diet. I also take one Multivitamin tab everyday. I feel very lethargic and weak. Please advise. Rizwan Ahmed Saudi Arabia
Asked On : Mon, 3 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  140
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello Rizwan,

The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to GERD.
Gastro esophageal reflux disease is caused by the reflux of acid from stomach to esophagus due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus.
If the refluxed acid enters the respiratory passage, it will cause damage to the respiratory tract & predispose the individual to respiratory tract infection.

Pantoprazole, Esomeprazole & Omeprazole provides symptomatic relief by preventing acid formation in stomach.
Domperidone is an anti emetic medication. It also strengthens the lower esophageal sphincter.

So, the medications prescribed by your doctor are correct.
Kindly take them as advised.

Further management of GERD consists of:
1. Lifestyle modification- like weight reduction, sleeping on the left side, or with upper body raised.
2. Dietary modification- avoid consuming irritating substances such as acidic & rich foods, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
3. Surgical treatment- includes Fundoplication, done when medical measures fail.

So, if the symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist, get a proper examination done & discuss regarding the management plan.

There is no need to will be fine.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.
You can ask me a direct query on this website using the below link:

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.
Answered: Sun, 26 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor