Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Suffered very painful trauma. Do you think I should ask the doc to do an arthroscopy?

5 weeks ago, I suffered a very painful trauma to the left knee whilst playing hockey. I think I landed awkwardly on a straight leg which may have hyperextended. There was no contact involved and I did not fall to the ground although I knew straight away that it was a serious knee injury. I have recently had an MRI scan which shows a rupture of the acl from its femoral insertion. As there is little signal change the consultant suggested that it may be an older injury although I don't recall any problems with the knee previously although I have played hockey for many years. I also have signal change around the the anterior part of the medial collateral ligament. The injury is 5 weeks old and clinically it is being very slow to respond to Physio treatment. The consultant is being very hesitant in making any firm plan of action. I am due to see him in an a couple of weeks time. He wants the knee to settle down before he tries to establish how stable my knee is before anything else. My physio was unable to do the pivot test even yesterday due to pain of the medial ligament. Do you think I should ask him to do an arthroscopy ? If I want to play hockey again or play sports with my 2 young children - do you think I should push for an ACL op ? I am female and 46 years of age. Thank you
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  13
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
If the ACL rupture is a "Complete" (full thickness tear) one, then there is no way to manage it conservatively (either with physio or medicines) to make your knee normal.

As you are an active female and involved in playing hockey, I suggest you to undergo "Arthroscopic reconstruction of ACL" to regain normalcy.

For making the diagnosis of ACL rupture, arthroscopy is not at all necessary (as it is an invasive procedure). If in doubt, a repeat MRI scan will give all the details of soft tissue damage inside the knee joint.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Thu, 11 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor