Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Suffered from knee injury. Swelling around knee, pop sensation. Using crutches. Treatment?

I suffered a knee injury during a football game (indoor - turf). It was a non-contact injury where I planted my left to make a cut right and I felt a pop sensation in the knee and immediately went down. There swelling around the knee (mainly on the inside of the knee) but the swelling has dissipated over the past 24 hours with RICE treatment + Aleve . I have been using crutches since the injury occurred but have been able to walk on it and place weight on it. Every few steps the feeling of a locked knee or instability sometimes occurs. I met with an athletic trainer at Ursinus College, who did a series of tests of me and believes it is not ACL related. He stated it could be MCL or he thought patellar subluxation .
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Radiologist 's  Response
Apr 2014
Thanks for writing to HCM

Your history suggests you should go for MRI scan of your knee joint as it is the choice of investigation in suspecting soft tissue injury.
X-ray knee joint AP/Lateral should be done routinely to exclude bony injury.
MRI can detect ACL/PCL injury and meniscus status.
Mild to moderate cases are treated conservatively whereas severe cases need surgery.
Of course you need proper clinical examination by orthopaedician.
Get well soon

Take Care
Dr.Indu Bhushan
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor