Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Suffered from Trigemial Neuralgia. Had gamma knife radiation surgery. Go for micro vascular decompression surgery?

My husband has suffered from Trigemial Neuralgia for more than 35 years. He is 81 years old and in excellent general health. During these many years he has gone thru major periods of pain. Originally on Rt side and had 2 radio frequency procedures. He took Tegretol for many years but has been pain free after the. 2nd procedure. He has major numbness that has worn off in the last few years. About 15 years ago he was lucky enough to get it on his left side. He was given Trileptal this time but had to get more help. He had Gamma Knife Radiation surgery then 2 radio frequency procedures. The goal was to give him relief without more numbness. He was really numb and cannot afford to have anymore in his eye or he will lose sight in that eye. He has been teaching these many years, retired /2 24 years ago and continues to substiitute teach and he remains active in every way. Going to the gym. regularly, etc. It seems the trileptal is not working now because he is suffering terrible pain, tic after tic of lightening bolts. Hardly permitting him to drink or eat. He wants to have micro vascular decompression surgey but we really want to know where in the. Country the least risky way of doing it exists- the Dr. and the Hospital. We live in Long Island, N Y I know there is an endoscopic way, that it can be done without using retractors, and probably other ways. How can I find out all the choices and make an intelligent decision ? I have been doing research online but unable to get this most important info. My husband needs to have the surgery ASAP . Help]. We need guidance and info.
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
  User's Response

I am sorry for your husband's problem. He must be having really hard time.

Your question is very specific - you are looking for a specific doctor and/or hospital for a specific problem. You might have difficulty to find a doctor this way. Just imagine: in order to give a specific name of a person or a hospital, an advisor/expert/doctor at this website should be the one working in the USA and at least in close proximity to the field of microsurgery.

I will open you a little secret: a good specialist in one field/specialty of medicine would only work with another good specialist in another field (e.g. a good surgeon would only work with a good cardiologist or gynecologist, etc.). In other words, good specialists try to maintain a certain circle in order to keep their reputation at a high level.

So, in my opinion, your first step is to find a good surgeon in your area. For this, you may want to visit one of the websites that deals with rating of doctors or hospitals (e.g. Review the opinions of the people there to find your way. Then, pay a visit to this surgeon and explain him/her your husband's problem. This surgeon will either take up your husband's problem or will refer you to another specialist who will deal with it.

Hope this helps.
Answered: Sun, 9 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor