Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Suffered food coma, keep belching, feels air stuck in chest. How to get rid of it ?

I have had problems with indigestion for 3days I ate a lot 2 days ago and felt bloated when I go to sleep and slep right away for after eating meals for 3 days because I had a food coma . I keep belching a lot and feel like air is stuck middle of my chest . I fasted today because I don t want anymore food getting stuck. Also I didn t go to bathroom for 3days after eating so much. Is there a way to get rid of air stuck feeling in my chest. I tried to vomit but nothing comes out.
Asked On : Thu, 29 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  34
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,

Thanks for your query.

It takes 2-3 days' time to come out of food coma. There is no known medical treatment. but the following self-remedy will help you in recovering :-

* Fasting should not be resorted to, as it will further complicate the problem.

* Take a Pro-kinetic drug, such as, Domperidone thrice a day, along with Omeprazole or rabeprazole twice a day, until you feel relief from excessive gas in the abdomen.

* Take plenty of water (2-3 liters) daily, which will soften the stools and facilitate bowel movement.

* Take Psyllium husk/powder 20 gms daily at night for 2-3 days, till bowel movements normalize.

* A diet consisting of basic nourishing foods is recommended until you recover.

* Do NOT take rest, but walk or do modest exercises and activities as much as possible. Resist the temptation to lie down or rest. Rest will this further complicates the condition.

* Do NOT take any chocolate or alcohol.

If required, consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agree with me, and will prescribe suitable treatment as advised.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” rating to my answer, to encourage all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Lastly, if you need a detailed and prompt answer, you may post a "Direct Query (Premium)" addressed personally to me.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Answered: Thu, 14 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor