Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Suffered brain injury, high blood sugar levels. History of type 2 diabetes. Cure?

Dear Dr. My husband suffered a brain injury five years ago. He is morbidly obese and is a type 2 diabetic. He was told his blood reading should not exceed 8. He lives in a nursing home and is telling me his level is reaching 23. Please advise me of he complications of this reading and what action i should take. Thanking you.
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thank you for your query.
High blood sugar levels predominantly destroy the tiny blood vessels (micro vasculature) . Therefore all organs dependent on micro blood flow are at risk, these are the brain, eyes(retina), heart, kidney and peripheral nerves. Treatment consists of minimizing sugar intake (diet) , exercise , oral tablets and if at optimal dosages the sugar levels are too high one must ad insulin injections. At the levels you are reporting your husband needs insulin to bring the levels down. This has to be managed by a doctor well versed in treating diabetics, and will best to have him admitted to a hospital until his sugar is under control and his medication needs have been established. I trust this information is helpful .
Answered: Wed, 20 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor