Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Suffer hyopkelemic periodic paralysis. Is surgery life threatening ?

I recently had a glucose intolerance test at my neurologist , who claims to know little about hyopkelemic perodic paralysis . After the 3 hour test, I went into a full episode of paralysis lasting 5 hours in his office. I did have a low potassium level the last time they cheched my blood (4), although he says it is not low enought to diagnose me. I am now 53, and have with years of frustration thinking I was not able to walk because I had fibromyalgia for 25 year. My family can trace back episode from when I was a young child. My brother has symptoms and also my son. I simple do not know where to look for help in the Memphis, TN area. I have been working to find answers for 4 years as I get shuffled around so that the Drs may make their 20 patient a day goal. I have had some results with a caring ENT that will not perform sinus surgery on me until I am under a Dr s care. He said surgery for me could be life threading at this point. Any guidance in the mid south or mid west for an appropriate Dr would be appreciated
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Neurologist 's  Response

Based on details you have hypokalemic periodic paralysis with positive family history .This indicates primary hypokalemic periodic paralysis ( gene defect for channels located at skeltal muscle) rather than secondary causes .

Still you need detail evaluation like calcium, magnesium levels in blood,thyroid profile and Arterial blood gases and assessment of kidney function in addition to serum potassium.You require specific tests like CPK and EMG also

Hypokalemc paralysis worsens with high carbohydrate diet and heavy exercises.

Yes you can go ahead for surgery after correction of potassium and you may require acetazolamide also. Discuss with treating neurologist regarding aforementioned pal.

I hope this will help you

Dr Sandhya Manorenj
Hyderabad , India
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor