Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Suffer from pyria. Gum surgery suggested. Alternate treatment option?

dear sir Please help me, My self neetu meena and my age 23 year old. Sir i m suffering from pyria from last few years. Now my pyria problem is solved but my gum are not improving the doctors are suggested for the gum surgery to me. But I wan t to avoid this painful surgery. please suggest me some other Medician that helps to improve my gum and covering the teeth Properly. Please help Me.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013
Answers:  7 Views:  516
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Neetu,
The problem of pyorreah is basically due to improper oral hygiene. A complete scaling can improve the health of your gums. Once the superficial deposits like calculus and plaque are removed, the gums slowly shrink back to their normal self although this might take some time. Also, deep curettage can be done along with root planing which is not a painfull procedure when done under local anaesthesia. This procedure is not very invasive and can work wonders for improving the gingival health. If after these and a regular oral hygiene maintenance also your problem remains, then the mucogingival surgery is the last resort. If you're not convinced by your present clinician then a second opinion would help well and you would have more clarity about these treatment options.
I hope this advice solves your problem.
Take care :)
Answered: Fri, 15 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello neetu and welcome,
Pyorrhea is the infective condition of the periodontal tissues including gums and the attachment apparatus of the teeth.
It can be treated effectively by deep currettage to remove all the infected debris and the granulation tissue or a periodontal flap surgery if needed to restore good gum health.
You need to visit a periodontist , get an OPG radiograph done which will show the amount of bone loss and condition of the gums and teeth accordingly treatment option can be planned.
Meantime you maintain good oral hygiene, use lukewarm saline water for mouth rinsing which help prevent further infection.

take care.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Mallayya Pujari's  Response
Dear Neetu Meena,

The actual treatment required for you is flap surgery as advised by your earlier dentist. However, if you are afraid of surgical then you can go ahead with non-surgical which follows as,
Phase I- Scaling (supragingival & subgingival)
Phase II- Currattage with doxy 100mg. First day 200mg next day onwards twice daily for 7 days

Brushing twice and use of chlorhexidine mouthwash for 15days

The most important here is following correct brushing technique. You can ask your dentist to teach you that techinique.
Answered: Fri, 15 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

  User's Response
hi neetu,
pyria is a gum problem.if not treated properly it affect bone and tooth also.teeth become mobile due to bone loss.your gum health is improved by treatment.treatment of pyria is possible by scaling,root planing and currettage.but you should maintain your oral hygine properly after treatment.if your gingival loss is more and also esthetic point of view you can go for flap surgery.dont scared procedure is not is done under local anesthesia.ask your dentisthow to maintain oral hygiene and tecnique of brushing.
all the best.
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Welcome to the forum.
Pyria can be treated easily by a dentist, and gums can be repaired, however teeth cannot be repaired and will often decay beyond the point of repair.
It’s important for people to brush over the gum-line and floss in-between teeth at least twice a day.
During initial symptoms of pyria, corrective measures can be taken, after brushing use a half water water 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to rinse your mouth.
Vitamin C from citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, lemons can aid is gum restoration and milk, yoghurt and leafy vegetables have calcium which build bones and teeth.
Suffers of pyria are urged to seek immediate professional attention from a dental hygienist, and meanwhile rise thoroughly with an anti bacterial mouthwash and brush frequently.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile .
Dr Neha Gupta
Answered: Fri, 15 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
pyorrhea is cause of bad oral hygiene maintainance and habits also. are you having swollen gums or gums dropping down from teeth along with bad odor is an indication of pyorrhea.
simple bad breath may be due to your tobacco associated habits improper brushing and cleaning of tongue, less amount of water in your complete diet or deficiency of vitamin C.
visit the dentist and get your oral prophylaxis done i.e, check up with associated procedures.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Answered: Fri, 15 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend
thanks for sharing your concern.

pyorrhoea is an infective gum require very good oral hygine and continuously maintaining the same.

you can use warm saline rinses frequently.

use chlorhexidine mouth wash2% periodically.

brush after each meal.

if possible rinse and floss regularly so that intrdental spaces are maintained clean.

if above measures doesnot help much in your case then you will have to go for deep scaling and curretage.also,root planing procedures for removing infected tissues.

after this again try to follow these measures.
do this repeatedly.
do not leave in between if you want to avoid frequent gum surgery because gum problems require utmost care and maintainence.

meanwhile visit your dentist take an OPG to see the bone loss surrounding the various teeth. after which you can decide to go for treatment accordingly.

Answered: Mon, 25 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor