Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

177 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffer from pain during sex.

When my husband and I have sex it feels like he his hitting something inside my vagina that causes sharp pains. He has described it as hitting a "nub". I have been to the doctor about this, had an ultrasound and they do not find anything. Durring the ultrasound the spot was hit, when asked what that was I was told there was nothing there and all looked normal. How can it be normal if when thast same spot gets hit it hurts and my husband can also feel it with his penis? This is effecting our relationship in a very negative way and rarely have sex anymore.
Thu, 23 Aug 2012
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Welcome to HCM,

As you have felt similar pain during trans vaginal USG also, should request your Gynecologist to perform a bimanual examination.

During bimanual examination if she finds any tender spot, then either that part &/or other structure in its vicinity is inflamed.

Thereafter she will be in a position to tell you the probable cause and if required further investigations can be advised on the basis of examination.

Once diagnosis is established, treatment will be easy.

Thanks for your trust in Healthcaremagic and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Dear Friend,
Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.

If your husband's penis is longer, there is a possibility of the glans penis to touch the cervix. If so, better try different positions and tell him to control his strokes so that it will not go so deeply.

If it is in the side of the penis, use artificial lubricants like K-Y Jelly to reduce the friction because inadequate foreplay can reduce the lubrication which can result in rubbing sensation. Hence do a lot of foreplay like sucking nipples, fondling breasts oral sex etc

Wish you Good Sexual Health

Dr. A CHAKRAVARTHY MBBS; MBA; (MHSc Reproductive & Sexual Medicine)

Consultant Sexual Medicine / Sexology, TRIVANDRUM, Kerala
+91 - 94477 05077 / 99464 25577
International Association For Sexual Medicine /
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response
Get your bladder checked. I had pain for 5 years and just got diagnosed with IC. Started meds and just recently started having pain free sex. All the best. I know its hard to deal with. You and hubby hang in there!!!
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response
Get your bladder checked for IC. If thats the cause it can be helped. All the best!!?
  User's Response
anita's  Response

ya it happn normally..did u ever try putting finger in ur do u find any sort of any skin whn u put vagina..plzz let me know..thos is normal thng u shd try differrent postion.u try to do in a upper side position.u shd be in a upper way.if nay issue persists plzzzz let me know.waiitng for ur positive response nad more more thng dou hav wt bat ur menstual cycles  they are regular or not... i dnt thng so taht there wld be nay pai during sex.iit jsut an peacefulll

  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

Use KY jelly this will reduce the pain during the sex

  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

try using positions where your husband doesn't go as deep, such as side by side.

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I m a 22 year old woman who was previously diagnosed with a cervical ectropain. Sex is painful for me, so when I was referred to the gynaecologist, he sent me for an ultrasound as he said that the ectropian wouldn t be causing the pain. the scan came back clear, so i was then sent for a laparoscopy, which also came back clear. is it possible for a cervical ectropian to cause pain during sexual intercourse?as there is nothing else wrong i feel that this must be the cause of the pain, but when i asked to doctor again i was told no.

doctor1 MD

A few details about me: Age: 31 years Sex: Male Height: 5.9 Weight: 88 Kgs Profession: Software Industry that requires me to work sitting for hours Diet: Non veg Exercise: irregular at the moment, maybe once / twice a month a game of cricket I drive to office in my car, spending about 1.5 hours a day driving Problem Details: For the past 1 month I have been suffering from severe pain that originates from my back (about 3 inches below the base of my neck towards the immediate right of my back bone) and radiates down my right hand, up to my ring finger. Specific points as it radiates down are: 1. The point of origin of pain 2. My right hand triceps 3. My elbow 4. Outer side of my forearm (Non palm side) 5. Non Palm side 6. Base of the ring finger The pain gradually increases after I sit down for about 5 minutes, I get a lot of relief if I stand and bend backwards. The pain also decreases a bit when I sit but keep my back straight / a little bended backward. When I type, I feel the strain near my elbow, ring finger and outer side of my forearm. I used to be a very active sports man during my schooling / college days, but once I started working (about 8 years), physical activity has taken a back seat and is very random. About 2 months back, I joined a cricket team and used to bowl for about 2 hours a day over weekends (Which I suppose could have strained my muscles). I remember not having warmed up / stretched well before bowling. With all these symptoms, I had consulted two orthopedics; one of them had got two X-rays done of my neck / upper back and had also conducted basic checks. Both the X-rays revealed no abnormalities to the neck bone, back bone or discs; neither have the checks revealed any abnormalities. Both the doctors concluded that it was a case of ‘some nerve / muscle’ that has got strained and is what is causing the problem. The strain, as the doctors mentioned could have been due to bowling / any strenuous activity, incorrect posture and working style. I have also been told that my weight could be adding to my woes. I was advised to go to a Physiotherapist for about 7 days (IFT and Ultra sound) for the back and arm and was advised to take painkiller tablet and a muscle relaxant tablet. Besides this, I have been advised to follow some stretching exercises advised by the physiotherapist. I have completed all of the above and still continue with the stretching exercise. Though there is a slight relief, I still have the same piercing pain specifically in the mornings and it is becoming increasingly difficult to carry on with my routine.

doctor1 MD

I am suffering back spinal pain also both side hippies pain some time i can not move .during sex very fast ejuculate or during sex penice become shoft slowly go down at present i am taking this medicine FOSAMAX 70 MG Alendronate sodium tablet.also i am high BP .

Recent questions on  Gynecologic ultrasonography

doctor1 MD

Hi I'm 27 year old female. For years I have had a dull ache in my lower right abdomen. I have also had a green/discharge on and off during this time aswell. Sometimes it's a normal colour sometimes clear/White, sometimes I would pass large amounts of mucous. I have had a transvaginal ultrasound, doc says nothing wrong with me. My smears are normal. Ive had no historical medical problems. I mentioned to the doc that my husband and I are trying to conceive, he said he sees no difficulty but to me this isn't normal, please help.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I did not get my period last June which is unusual to me because it's on a regular basis. I took two pregnancy test, both got two lines though the second line is a faint one. I went to an OB and she confirmed I was positively pregnant. I was scheduled for Transvaginal Ultrasound but it showed an empty uterus, only thickened endometrium. If this would be of any help as a basis on your answer, my last sexual encounter (unprotected) was June 14 and I am not really very aware of when I ovulate. My LMP was from May 23 - 26 or 27. Thank you in advance.

doctor1 MD

Hi there! I'm Mel, Phil. 32y.o. 5'3" in height 84kg with Family history of Diabetes, Hypertension, Lung Cancer and Gall bladder stone. I underwent laboratory exams and results are as follows: (1) Ultrasound of Kidneys and Urinary Bladder- Remarks Negative sonogram of the kidneys and urinary bladder.; (2) HBT Ultrasound- Impression: Normal ultrasound of the liver, Gallbladder and pancreas.;(3)urinalysis- Few bacteria, epithelial cells-few.;(4) hematology-all in normal range,;(5) transvaginal ultrasound-diagnosis: normal sized anteverted uterus with thin endometrium polycystic ovary, bilateral,;(6) sugar-last feb 2011-75, BP 110-80, pulse -72, respiratory-17, temp-37. Question: Will it be easy for me to get pregnant, by August 2012? I'm taking metformin 500mg, 30 mins after breakfast and dinner. this will be for three months. I have monthly periods but it occurs in 32,30,36,40,35,33,33 days of interval since jan. 2011. No period last dec. 2010 and oct. 2010. Am I help less? thank you doc!

doctor1 MD

HI there I'm cathy 28 years old and I really wanted to haveHI there I'm cathy 28 years old and I really wanted to have a baby thats why i decided to have my check up to a OBGyn. I made some test like papsmear and transvaginal ultrasound. I want to know the result test clearly. my doctor didn't discuss to me what is the result is all about. the uterus is anteverted, midline, normal in size measuring 54mm x 28mm x 27mm with smooth outline and a thinned out endometrial stripe measuring 8mm Homogenous myometrial echopattern seen. the cervix is closed. (22mm x 18mm). Both ovaries are seen, RT: 21mm x 21mm- with follicles noted within- the largest seen having a 12mm AP diameter. the left ovary measures 25mm x 16mm with subcapsular cysts noted with echogenic struma. Cul de sac is fluid free. can you explain to me what is this all about? Am i going to be a mother soon?? is there any problem on me?? please help me

doctor1 MD

Is there any way to diagnose ovarian cancer by CT scan and vaginal ultrasounds only or is the only true way to diagnose with a biopsy of the ovary? I am 48 and have a 20X24X29mm solid left ovarian lesion on my left ovary. My left ovary is also...

doctor1 MD

I am reviewing the results from my transvaginal ultrasound . It states that my left ovary is close to double the size of my right at 36x41x35mm and has a relatively echogenic, nonshadowing 20x24x29mm solid left ovarian lesion. My uterus is also...

doctor1 MD

CLINICAL INDICATIONS: pelvic mass SE (LOCATION) CLINICAL COMMENTS: Pregnancy Information:N TRANSABDOMINAL PELVIC ULTRASOUND; TRANSVAGINAL ULTRASOUND: Transabdominal and transvaginal evaluation of the pelvis was done. The uterus is 10.0 cm in...