Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suffer from depression. Have acne, weight gain, facial hair growth and irregular periods. Need help

I am 42 years of age. I have suffered with depression since being a teen. I have had acne since being 12. I have put on a lot of weight. I now have facial hair dark,around chin and sides of face. Acne is quite severe. I am so fed up.Oh my periods are irregular every 2 or months. Blood tests came back ok. Can you help??
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

Depression is a mood disorder, and increased weight and acne further worsens the symptoms of depression. Currently problem has been further potentiated by facial hair. All these factors are contributing to depression. As acne, weight increase, facial hair etc are also stress related so depressive symptoms are further worsening them. In short a vicious cycle has been formed. I would advise you to visit a Psychiatrist for help in depression. Various medicines like SSRIs or SNRIs are safe and useful in depression. Apart from medicines Cognitive Therapy is a useful alternative to medicines. For acne and facial hair visit a Dermatologist.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
You have too many different complains. Acne can be taken care of as there are plenty of new medications available. do visit a dermatologist. Keep proper facial hygiene.
Regarding your dark hair, you need to identify the cause. Get your hormonal profile done. They can be removed by lazers.
You period irregularity , you need to see a gynecologist. There are plenty of medicines available to regularize your periods.
Coming to your depression part, being depressed you tend to perceive your problem more big than it actually is. Do visit a psychiatrist who can take you for some Cognitive behavioural therapy sessions.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor