Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Suffer from bipolar disorder. Have smoking and alcohol addiction. Not ready to take medication. What to do?

I am 68 yrs old.
My son Somasundaram, now 38 yrs, was treated for Bipolar 3 years ago, but once in away he is getting into that typical pattern. He smokes and drinks.
Since his first treatment of Bipolar, he is not steady in his mind and have not worked. Presently he is in the same condition as before and not taking any medication and not willing to go to the Doctor.
He was treated at Markham Stoufville Hospital by DR. Berber, and we as parents would like to go to the hospital again for advice.
Is there any other solution for this as we are also getting old now?
Siva & Yvonne Somasundaram
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic
Bipolar disorder is a chronic recurring psychiatric condition. It requires treatment for a prolonged period i.e. atleast 2 to 5 years and sometimes life time. It is an episodic illness and there is atleast partial remission in between episodes. Once the illness sets in patient's behavior changes (as you have observed he started smoking and drinking with the start of the new episode) Good compliance with medication and regular followoup with a psychiatrist makes a difference.
Hope this helps you
Best wishes and regards
Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response
Hi Siva & Yvonne Somasundaram,

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

You should consult the nearest reputed psychiatrist for help.
Please encourage him to join with you for a doctor consultation.
You should also encourage him for deaddiction.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Take care.

Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor