Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Suffer from atrial fibrillation. Tried cardioversion and digoxin. What is the next option?

my husband has atrial fibrillation, first few times the cardiologist performed cardioversion and it seemed to work,
but after the each time lasting shorter periods b efore his heart went irregular again,, then an ablation was done and that lasted less then a year now his heart is irregular again and they are trying to stabilize it with digoxin, but it doesn't seem to be working what would be the next step for him to stabilize his heart is there anything else
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  99
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) may help > it resembles angio – a catheter is put inside the heart / electrical activity recorded / stimulation and suppression tests are carried out / suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is INVASIVE and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST.
There are other advanced treatment modalities - like Pulmonary Vein isolation, that could be done during EPS.
The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

If the rhythm can not be controlled, one has to settle for rate control...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Wed, 17 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor