Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Suffer from Crohn's disease. Have fructose malabsorption. Taking methotrexate. Chances of liver damage?

Hello I am 62 yr old female and have had crohns disease for 30 years with 3 bowel resections. I am on methotrexate now and am fairly well except for the occasional obstruction episode. I now have fructose malabsorbtion and am taking peppermint oil caps. for this. Could the mtx or liver damage from it cause the fructose intollerance?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, donniedoo,
Since you have had Crohn's for over 30 years now, I am sure you are
in touch with the recent developments about treatment options.
Unfortunately , you have had surgeries for recurrent disease and bowel
obstructions. 6-MP and Methotrexate are effective in mild to moderte
stages of Crohn's. If someone has had complicated course , this regimen may
not be as effective in acheiving remission.
There are Biologicals such as Infliximab and newer ones which are very good
in bringing about remission.
As to your question about liver damage from Methotrexate, you should have
been monitored with periodic liver blood tests. If they were normal, then you
are safe.
I want you to discuss with your gastroenterologist about the newer options.
I wish you the very best.
Answered: Thu, 28 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor