Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Sudden weight gain, tiredness, TSH high. Chances of mild hypo thyroid. Any tests required?

Hi, we visited an Endocrinologist because my wife was complaining of sudden weight gain and tiredness and her TSH was a little high in a recent report. The endo suggested FT3/4, TSH, Antibody , Thyroglobulin , RBS, Insulin and LFT tests. Are all these really necessary? He says she could be mild hypo thyroid. Not sure what is happening. Can you suggest a good endocrinologist in bangalore.
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  98
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
If any one gains weight rapidly and have associated symptoms with high TSH, first thing which comes to mind is possibility of Hypothyroidism which may be sub clinical.
But we should keep our mind open to other possibilities also such as metabolic syndrome,simple Obesity and other hormone disorders (Diabetes, Cushing's syndrome ),even swelling all over the body related to kidney disorders.
In such case a good physical examination with appropriate investigations will help to reach conclusion what she is having.
Please have faith in your treating Physician and follow his/her advise as doctor will try level best to diagnose and treat patient in most appropriate way.
I hope nothing serious is detected.
Please take care of her
Good Luck.
Answered: Mon, 28 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Mamun Kabir's  Response
thank you.
sudden excessive weight gain associated with fatigues is a feature of hypothyroidism.
FT3/4,TSH,ANTIBODY & thyroglobulin is enough to confirm hypothyroidism.
though there are some other causes of weight gain,they should be considered later if thyroid function test remain normal.
Answered: Sun, 27 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Diabetologist Dr. Madhuri Patil's  Response
Aug 2012
Hi Rajiv.

If your wife has slightly high TSH then get only anti-TPO and random blood sugar test done. At this stage no other tests are essential at all. You can bring her to show me for this problem of hers. Take care.
Answered: Sun, 27 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor