Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Sudden popping under the ribs, can't take a deep breath, laugh or cough. On Warfarin, no pain medicines. What's wrong ?

I was bending over my large oval tub trying to clean it and had all of my weight distributed on the edge of the tub. All of a sudden I heard a pop, it felt like something shifted and I was in immediate pain. When I finally got up, I checked to see if I was bruised under my ribs but there wasn t anything. For the next couple days I was fine. Then I went to church and was raising my hands in praise, after that moment it has been very painful. I can t take a deep breath, laugh or cough . It hurts to get out of bed or get out of a chair. I would take ibuprophen but I am on warfarin for a DVT caused by trama from a pic line in my subclavian vein . I know, I sound like a mess! I am a 55 year old woman w/ idiopathic gastroparesis 7 yrs now. I do not take pain meds and thought this pain would subside but it seems worst. Do you think I should see my doctor. I hate to go since this would be another problem & I am not that type of patient. It just feels like something is really wrong. Thank you...AAAAA
Asked On : Mon, 11 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  99
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
It seems that you might be having fracture in your rib.
Go for x-ray chest.
Consult orthopedic surgeon and get examined.
Ok and take care.
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

From the given description, I am of the opinion that you have suffered an intercostal muscle pull or catch making you painful while coughing, breathing or laughing.

The general conservative measures for this condition is as follows -

* avoid lying on the affected side
* Ice packing to relieve the acute pain
* Local application of painkiller gel (as you are intolerant to oral painkillers)
* once the acute pain subsides, moist heat application to relax the soft tissues

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor