Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Stringy yellowish crystals in urine. What are these. Do I have prostatitis?

Last night I urinated and a bunch of slightly yellow tinged see-through chunks of jellylike crystals(for lack of a better term for these things)came out and splat the toilet bowl. It sounded like paint hitting the bowl, so I looked and found the jellies... They ranged in size from about 2mm-13mm in width, and upto an inch long, and nearly as tall(while laying flat)as window glass. Held to the light, lines could be seen in each of these. The lines looked more opaque, whitish. I did not seal them when I saved them, and they dessicated, but the lines are now pronounced, and taller than the jelly thing due to jelly being dried. They are very crispy, firm, fairly see through. What in the world are these?! I may have congested prostate , or prostatis, my doc at the VA didn t want to discuss it because that s not what the visit was about.. So I never found out..
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

The appearance of visible crystals in the urine is because of the increased accumulation of salts in the urine, this can be an indication of a possible stone(s) somewhere else in your urinary tract as well.

The most likely crystals based on the color you have observed them to be are:
-Bilirubin crystals: Are needle-like granular crystals that are yellow in color
-Calcium carbonate crystals: These are either completely colorless or a yellowish brown color
-Amorphous crystals: These crystals form in acidic urine and are usually yellow to yellowish brown in color

There of course still exists a possibility of different crystals, but these are the most likely ones. It does not matter what type the stones are, as long as we correct their occurrence and prevent it in the future. Also, you will have to visit a doctor and rule out their presence anywhere else in the urinary tract, especially in the kidneys.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response

There can be number of reasons to have such jelly like things coming out of the urine. Genetically, it is related to the Urachus which is the tract through which urine is let out of the baby and through the umbilicus which is represented by the belly button in adults.
The best thing would be to consult a Urologist and then to a Uro-surgeon on the advice of the Urologist.

Take Care
Answered: Sat, 23 Mar 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor