Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Strep throat, foul taste in mouth, yellow brown sputum. Taking rocephin, zpack. Treatment?

I have the worse case of strep throat I have ever encountered. I have received a shot of PCN, dose of Rocephin and have 1 day left on a Zpack. Problem is I am not improving. I have a horrid Taste in my mouth and continue to spit up thick yellow brown puss. I am Gargling with salt water several times a day. What else should I do?
Asked On : Sat, 8 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  207
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum

You seem to be having sinusitis along with pharyngitis. Z-pack alone will not be sufficient to combat this. You need to change your antibiotic. Also follow the suggestions below:

1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion and clearing of the mucus.
3. Avoid coffee/chilled/hot beverages/alcohol/smoking if any.
4. Try taking antibiotics such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime
5. A Mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus
6. Anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen and diclofenac will help in reducing the throat pain.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Answered: Sat, 8 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor