Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Strange chest pain on swallowing hot food or drinks, on cold medicines. Emergency?

Hi, I have a strange pain in my chest when I swallow hot food or drinks. The pain is in the very centre of my chest below my breastbone, and it only happens when I m eating or drinking. I currently have a cold , which I have been taking medicine for, but as a result have been drinking lots of hot tea and soup so it s happening often. I ve had the pain for two days now, but it hasn t gotten better or worse, just stayed the same. Should I see a doctor?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  1855
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Kavita,
This problem which you are describing is can be becasue of the inflammtion if the oesophagus. This condition is also known as oesophagitis and this can present in the form which you are suffering from.
As you told that you are having cold and having medication for this and also taking lot of hot tea and soup, so can cause the infalmmatory changes in the lower oesphagus and can cause the pain while eating.
I would suggest you to contact your doctor and let him examine you and tell him every thing in details and I hope he/she will prescribe you some antacids or some other anti ulcer drug to relieve and heal this problem.

Thanks and take care.
Answered: Mon, 8 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor