• question-icon

Stomatitis, burning sensation in lips, dryness, cracks on corners of my mouth. Causes?

I m not sure if I have stomatitis . My lips feel burnt both the inside and out. I feel like my lips are extremely chapped, and I have cracks on the two corners of my mouth. I can t find out what makes it flare up, but I just came back from a trip to Canada, and I didn t have it at all up there, and it came back the day I arrived home.
Fri, 31 Aug 2012
Thanks for writing in HCM.
Angular stomatitis is a condition that involves a painful cracking of the tissue that makes up the lips. Stomatitis occurs in the corners of the mouth, often making simple actions such as speaking, drinking and chewing uncomfortable. If the cracking in the corners of the mouth appears to be a result of exposure to the cold and wind of winter weather, applying some type of protective coating will help to improve the condition. lip balms will often help to contain mild cases of angular stomatitis, and provide the protection necessary to allow the body’s natural healing processes to repair the cracks. If lip balm is not available, a thin layer of petroleum jelly will also serve to deflect the wind and cold as well as help the lips retain the moisture needed to begin the healing.Most often, a lack of iron and various B vitamins can result in dry patches on the lips. Making some simple changes in the daily diet, as well as using vitamin or herbal supplements to achieve the correct levels of these nutrients, will help to ward off the incidence of angular stomatitis, as well as help an existing condition to heal.A topical mixture of glycerine and either milk cream or honey can help to moisturize lips. Soaking rose petals in fresh milk or water is another formula commonly used.
Topical mixtures of aloe vera, olive oil, honey, and unsalted butter are also helpful for cracked lips. Applying petroleum jelly each night will heal the peeling or bleeding lips. Castor oil and mustard oil can be used. Avoid touching your lips with your tongue, avoid lipsticks or other lips cosmetics.
wishing you a good health.