Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Stomach fullness below rib cage, discomfort. Gall bladder removed through surgery. Cure?

Hello, my name is , I am 32 years old. I ve been experiencing a fullness in the upper part of my stomach below my rib cage. It s very uncomfortable and painful. My gallbladder has been removed, I ve had repaired hernias so I have mesh in there too. I also recently had surgery two months ago and I ve searched the Web for answers and came across people not being helped by with this issue. Oh and that there is no cure. Can you help!!!!!!
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  135
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
I can understand your frustration. You mention that you have had
abdominal surgeries including gallbladder and also mesh insertin
for hernias. Your symptoms of pain and fullness in the upper part
of the abdomen may indicate slow passage from the stomach
into the intestine of your ingested food. This could happen in
different circumstances. If you have some scarring at the lower
end of the stomach opening from an old healed ulcer , that could
cause mild blockage. If you are a diabetic and not well controlled
you can have a condition called Gastroparesis that would slow down
the stomach. But my best guess in your case, is "Adhesions".
Especially after multiple abdominal surgeries , scar tissue develops
and in some, this can cause kinking of the intestine and cause intermittent
blockage or obstruction. If you get relief after passage of gas or after
belching , this could be a cause. It is very difficult to identify adhesions
but some cases a GI series and a small bowel follow through X-rays
can show abnormalities, if there is significant kinking.
In some cases mesh itself can cause reaction and scarring with pain.
Hope you have had complete blood work.
You can discuss these with your doctor and get tested .
I wish you well.
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor