Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Stinky pus from the ear with infection. Took Cephaloxin, tried warm compresses. What else to do ?

I have had an ear infection for 2 weeks. there is even a very stinky pus that comes out. i have put warm compresses over my ear to help it drain which releaves it for a little bit but then it goes right back to the way it was. I am taking cephaloxin antibiotic right now and started taking it on Friday. What else can I do. This is getting so aggrevating.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  22
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

You are doing everything you can to treat the ear infection, just a few more pointers:
1. If the antibiotics are not working that well you need to take a swab of the pus and send it for a test called the culture and sensitivity test and initiate a proper treatment.
2. If the pain is worse and discharge is increasing you may consider injectable antibiotics and pain killers which can relieve your pain faster and more effectively
3. After the infection settles you need to undergo a complete check up of your ear drums by an ENT for preventing the infection in the future
4. Avoid meddling your ears especially with an ear bud and also do not allow any water to go inside the ear

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Thu, 22 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor