Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Stings and burns while urinating in male

First off I m a male, and sometimes when I urinate, it stings/burns when I begin and then stops midway. This has only happened maybe twice out of the entire year. It doesn t happen often but when it does I usually drink a lot of water afterwards and then it doesn t happen again. Is there something I should eat regularly in my diet or keep drinking water more often to keep this from happening?
Asked On : Thu, 5 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  276
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Hbrichman9,

Welcome to

It sounds as if you are describing a urinary tract infection.

Your urinary tract is the system that makes urine and carries it out of your body. It includes your bladder and kidneys and the tubes that connect them. When germs get into this system, they can cause an infection. Most urinary tract infections are bladder infections. A bladder infection usually is not serious if it is treated right away. If you do not take care of a bladder infection, it can spread to your kidneys. A kidney infection is serious and can cause permanent damage.

Usually, germs get into your system through your urethra, the tube that carries urine from your bladder to the outside of your body. The germs that usually cause these infections live in your large intestine and are found in your stool. If these germs get inside your urethra, they can travel up into your bladder and kidneys and cause an infection.

You may be more likely to get an infection if you do not drink enough fluids or you have diabetes. The chance that you will get a bladder infection is higher if you have any problem that blocks the flow of urine from your bladder. Examples include having kidney stones or an enlarged prostate gland.

You may have an infection if you have any of these symptoms:
You feel pain or burning when you urinate.
You feel like you have to urinate often, but not much urine comes out when you do.
Your belly feels tender or heavy.
Your urine is cloudy or smells bad.
You have pain on one side of your back under your ribs. This is where your kidneys are.
You have fever and chills.
You have nausea and vomiting.

Call your doctor right away if you think you have an infection and:
You have a fever, nausea and vomiting, or pain in one side of your back under your ribs.
You have diabetes, kidney problems, or a weak immune system.
You are older than 65.

To diagnose a bladder infection, your doctor will ask for a sample of your urine. It is tested to see if it has germs that cause bladder infections.

Antibiotics prescribed by your doctor will usually cure a bladder infection. It may help to drink lots of water and other fluids and to urinate often, emptying your bladder each time. If your doctor prescribes antibiotics, take the pills exactly as you are told. Do not stop taking them just because you feel better. You need to finish taking them all so that you do not get sick again.

You can help prevent these infections.
Drink lots of water every day.
Urinate often. Do not try to hold it.

Be well,
Dr. Kimberly
Answered: Thu, 5 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor