Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Sticky feeling in eyes. Have conjunctival chalasis. Who should I see? Treatment?

I have been having a glue in my eyes feeling for over 2 years now. I have seen 4 different ophthalmologists and all 4 either thing it s either allergies or I should use moisturizing drops. The last guy noted I have baggy conjunctiva . I always feel like something is STUCK in my eyes. I need help. Surgery if some of the conjunctiva needs to be removed!!!! I m aggressive at solving this problem! It is affecting my work and my life! Have found this: CONJUNCTIVAL CHALASIS: Occurring when a loss of Tenon’s fascia allows bulbar conjunctiva to become loose, conjunctival chalasis can cause persistent discomfort due to the loose tissue being pinched and folding over on itself. The diagnosis of conjunctival chalasis if often missed, largely due to an overlap in symptoms with dry eye disease , but when diagnosed, proper treatment can often result in complete resolution of symptoms. In some patients, lubricants and/or NSAIDs are sufficient to relieve discomfort, and I always try these therapies before proceeding to surgery. If necessary, removing the redundant conjunctival tissue and replacing it with an amniotic membrane graft also achieves excellent outcomes. Since all the O s I have seen are just drop guys - what kind of doctor do I need to find to help me??!!
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  576
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response

Most likely you are suffering from allergic conjunctivitis with dry eyes. It is better if you can find out the allergen by avoiding dust, smoke, change of cosmetics and protection of eye fromUV rays by using appropriate sun glasses. You are advised to use some weak steroid eye drops along with some good lubricating drops for about 2 weeks 3 times a day which can be tapered off slowly every two weeks to SOS. Once the condition improves, you can continue using weak steroids SOS and NSAID with lubricating drops regularly thrice a day.

It will require treatment for few months to get good results.

Answered: Sat, 9 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Ophthalmologist Dr. Ajay Shankar Kar's  Response
Dear Mc Math,Since you are a diagnosed case of Conjuctival chalasis the line of treatment would be trating dry eye condition associated with it with lubricants.if there is some inflammation you can try NSAIDs.If the signs and symptoms still persists and you are not comfortable with these medication then excision of the redundant conjunctiva with amniotic membrane transplant definitely helps.I believe you should seek for an experienced Cornea specialist who can help you out in diagnosing and treating conjuctival chalasis in a proper way....So try out lubricants and NSAIDs first and if not go for surgery....TC...Dr Ajay Shankar Kar
Answered: Sat, 9 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor