Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Sternum discomfort, painful breathing. What is causing this?

I am a 26 year old female. I have been getting what feels like an air bubble trapped right under my sternum (I think). I have been experiencing this since I was little. But it doesn t happen very often until lately. I woke up this morning with one and the pain was so bad I couldn t hardly breathe. I couldn t sit, stand, walk or really move. This is the worst that the pain has ever been from these. It lasted about 30 minutes and then it finally passed and then it came back again about 30 minutes later (less painful) and lasted for about 10 minutes. I don t know what is causing this but it is very painful and uncomfortable. Please help.
Asked On : Sat, 20 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  1144
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for your query
Feeling an air bubble trapped right under your sternum indicates that you have shortness of breath. You also have chest pain and chest tightness. There may be many respiratory and cardiac causes for your symptoms. Asthma may sometimes present like this. Ischemic heart diseases may have similar presentation though it is very rare in your age group without any comorbidity. Better to consult a pulmonologist and get yourself locally examined and go for the following investigations -
1. ECG in 12 leads
2. Pulmonary function test
3. Echocardiographic examination.
Another non-respiratory non-cardiac cause of your symptoms may be gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) which may present similarly. You should have pantoprazole tablet before food along with domperidone or itopride for 1 month to lokk for symptomatic improvement along with 3-4 litre water/day. I think by all these you will get the answer.
Thank you.
Answered: Sun, 21 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Infertility Specialist Dr. Biswajit Dash's  Response
Hello sir,
well i think you have got an acid peptic disease.You can take acid inhibiting drugs like proton pump inhibitors after consulting your doctor.Well if you go for an upper GI endoscopy , it will be better,that will tell you if you have got any stomach ulcer or a duodenal ulcer or simply gastritis.And i think you should also have one ECG done to make you sure this pain is not caused by a problem of your heart ( to rule out what we call as ischemic heart disease ).
I think if these two tests are normal, you need not have to worry much.
good luck.bye
Answered: Sun, 21 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor