Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Squint eyes from childhood. Options other than surgery?

Dear Doctor,

I am a IT professional.
I've squint eyes that causes great disturbance in my life.Its a childhood problem.

My parents consulted some capable doctors when I was a little child. They assured my parents that my eyes were good. According to them my nose's skin was a bit loose that gave feel of squint eyes. They said that it would be fine gradually as I would grow up.

Now I am 23+ but still my eyes "occasionally" go outwards (only one eye at a time). I used spectacles for far sight (minus 1 for both eyes).

I consulted a local ophthalmologist, last month, who has 10+ years of experience in squint surgery. She suggested me to have a squint surgery. But the problem is that neither I'm willing to go for this option nor my parents are willing to allow me to go for that in any case. As per doctor, surgery is the only treatment of this problem.

Please tell me if it can be better without surgery.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
welcome to hcm,
i am also an squint specialist and according to your history i think you have intermittent exotropia i.e. your eyes goes outwards intermittently.
as you are using minus spectacle means your accomodation is good i.e. you can see near objects nicely and exercise does not work in your case,
so if you have squint for more than 50% of time of a day and cosmetically disturbing you , you can go ahead for squint surgery which is only option in your case.
if your squint is less than 50% of time of day and not causing you cosmetic problem then you can wait.
because at age of 23 squint surgery is not for vision it is for cosmetic purpose only.
according to my advice if squint is giving you poor cosmetic appearance you can go ahead for surgery. it is extraocular surgery will not cause you much pain and other problem except redness for few days.
squint surgery done by specialist gives you very good result in case of intermittent exotropia
take care
you can ask me further questions
Answered: Sun, 20 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor