Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Sprained lower tooth. Area sensitive. Radiating pain on eating. Relief by massaging gums

Hi, I have had a problem with my left jaw for the last 3 months. Went to the dentist and he said I had sprained a lower tooth by clenching my teeth . He did an x-ray and the tooth looked clear. He molded a guard and I have worn it for the last 3 weeks with no change. If I eat anything hot or chew on anything cold my jaw seizes up in a piercing pain. It starts in the chin just below the tooth that was sensitive. (4th from the back) Then radiates to all 4 back teeth on the bottom. It then moves to my top teeth on the left, cheek bone area, in front of my ear, below the ear and into the glands below the chin. I have tried heat and cold compresses and the pain is to severe to keep them on. Massaging the gum seems to help a bit. The pain intensifies until the whole side of my face feels as though it is seizing. The episodes happen about once a day for approx. a 20 minute period and then stops. As it is easing, below my eye and in my cheek and in front of my ear and jawline is sore to touch. I am to see my dentist again in another week but was wondering if perhaps it was best to see my family physician? Do you have any idea as to what this could be? Any help would be appreciated, thank you for your time. Pat
Asked On : Tue, 17 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  467
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Your case history shows that you are suffering from trigeminal neuralgia. This painful condition occurs unilaterally on the face, along the route of this nerve. The pain can trigger while eating, chewing, drinking, shaving, sneezing, touching the face etc. The pain is shooting type and involves the area around eye, cheeks and lower face. If your tooth looks clear on x-ray, than its not a dental problem. Consult your family physician or a neurologist.
Answered: Tue, 17 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor