Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Sprained ankle, severe ankle pain, swelling, pain under rib cage with increased tenderness. Sprain in lumbar or rib area?

Hi. I fell a week ago and sprained my right ankle again. I have had alot of ankle pain and swollen for a long time. I have seen a Dr. about this and take pain medication . When i fell I landed on my right side. really hard.Now i have a pain right side, under my rib cage and Can not sleep on that side. it hurts to touch the area and is very tender. I have had many tests in the past for Gall bladder and other. All came back normal. Do have Gerd and have meds for that. i am a heart patient and take stains Could this pain be a sprain in the rib cage or lumbar area?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  47
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.From description , it seems you might developed muscular or ligamentous strain over lumbar and chest area.
Now after 1 week if pain is severe ,I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.
Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required
• Avoid forward bending.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
Hi and thanks for the question,
Ankle pain and swelling for a long time deserve other investigations to exclude other causes of chronic inflammation, like autoimmune diseases and septic arthritis. It would be interesting run these blood tests like a complete blood count, ESR, Rheumatoid Factor, HLA27 and CRP.
The pain you are feeling around the chest in the rib cage deserves at least a good Chest X ray for a start., This shall show us the integrity of the chest structures, signs of infection or any pleurisy.
I think meeting an orthopedic surgeon and or rheumatologist shall be a brilliant idea to draw a borderline between these different possibilities.
Thanks for the inquiry and hope this helps,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Thu, 21 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor