Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Spot on the ears's helix that hurts, broke a cartilage, have cold. Why the pain?

Hi, It almost been a week now but there s a precise spot on my left ear s helix that hurts a lot when I touch it. There s no visible inflammation or anything, and I doesn t feel it unless I touch exactly the right place. It feels like I broke the cartilage in my ear. It didn t bother me much at first but when I hit the right spot it hurts like hell. I would really appreciate knowing what it is and how can I get rid of it. Winter is really cold here so could it be the frost who did that? Also, I read it could be the result of pressure on the ear but I noted that I don t really sleep on that ear. I also thought it could be because of my headphones but I wasn t wearing them for days before it began. I m clueless about this pain.
Asked On : Thu, 3 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  161
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
chronic irritation in ear due to ear plugs or other materials usedin ear as per your history
and over that blockin of pores of local skin causes cyst formation leading to sebaceous cysts or fruncles
need to investigate cause by consulting specialist
you can use antibiotic course minocycline for few days which is best for this types of lesions
keep dry
analgesic sos for pain
apply antibiotic mixed with antiallergic over area for few days
avoid water and local irritaing dvisesin ear like plugs
and head phones etc
Answered: Sat, 5 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
ENT Specialist Dr. Prahlad Duggal's  Response
Chondrodermitis nodularis helicis is a term used for a condition of pinna where there occurs pain over the cartilage and cold is one of the factors in it. The remedy is in avoiding pressure over the area and protection from cold. Topical niroglycerine or intralesional steroids can be used in cases not responding and surgical excision of the affected carliges can be done in those which do not respond to above treatment.
Answered: Sat, 5 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor