Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Spot on arm, swelling, lump, semi-firm

Yes sir, about 6-7 months ago I noticed a spot on my right arm just above the elbow crease. There was what looked like a puncture mark right in the middle like I d had a shot or had had blood drawn. There was no bump or lump and no pain. Decided to keep an eye on it and about 4 months I noticed what appeared to be a slight swelling in the area still no pain. Now it s been 2 months since I noticed the swelling and there is a very obvious lump under the skin. It is about the size of a Robins egg, and is semi firm. There is still no pain in the area. I don t want to come off like I am panicking.That is just not in my nature. My folks raised me not to run to the Dr. at the drop of a hat. I would like to know if you would advise me to see an Md. Thank-you.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  164
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms - a swelling with a "puncture-like mark" in the centre and the semi-firm consistency, it is likely that you have a sebaceous cyst. This is not an uncommon swelling but there is a possibility for sebaceous cysts to get infected and become enlarged and painful - in which case surgical excision would be the treatment option.

However, you need a proper physical examination to find out what exactly the swelling is due to. Since you say that the swelling has been progressively increasing in size, I would advise you to see a doctor to have it checked.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist
Answered: Wed, 6 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

General Surgeon Dr. Hari Charan Perigela's  Response

The swelling on your right arm may be a Lipoma, a swelling of fat cells.It is not Cancer.It is not an Emergency too.

Do not worry.

But,consult your surgeon and get the correct diagnosis.If it is lipoma,it can be removed by minor surgery under Local anesthesia.

Wish you good health.

Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dermatologist Dr. Surajit Gorai's  Response
welcome to hcm.
the lump may be due to various reasons.
whats your age?
whats the colour/shape of lump?
these are few questions to be answered for detailing.
it may be lipoma/sebaceous cyst or some other thing.
as it is enlarging you should consult a dermatologist.
he may advice fnac/biopsy to reach a diagonosis.
then the solution might be easy.
good luck.
Answered: Wed, 6 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor