Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Splashed hot oil in eye. Redness in eyelid. Bruise under eye. Sore to touch, irritate. Infection?

10 days ago I splashed a spot of hot cooking oil into my left eye. Inside the bottom lid is now red and slightly blue and raw. I also have developed a bruise under the eye. The eye is still sore to touch and feels irritated. I have been using lubricating drops but the problem persists and, in fact, looks worse. Should I go to my GP or to the hospital? Immediately? Is this an infection?
Asked On : Thu, 29 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  447
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response

It is likely that the skin over the eyelid and the inner mucosal lining have got scalded by the hot oil. It would have result in some amount of inflammation too. Apart from lubricating eye drops you would need an eye ointment too so as to prevent the raw surfaces of your eyelid from getting fused (symblepharon). You must consult an ophthalmologist for a closer look and further treatment as early as you can.

Answered: Thu, 29 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor