Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Soreness in thumb, finger, and forearm. Swollen. Should I be worried?

My left hand..the back of it from my middle finger to my thumb over part of my wrist and slightly up onto my forearm , have been a bit sore to the touch and some movement for a couple of days. I just noticed that the area is a bit swollem as well. I don t recall injuring it. Although, I often move fast without noticing injury right away. This feels strange. Should I be worried or just give it time?
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
the non traumatic soreness in the described area can be due to ant soft tissue affection in the hand and wrist area. the most common being that of tendons and its sheaths. the cause can be many like trauma, over use, idiopathic swelling or infection.
As far as your condition is concerned IF THE SWELLING IS MINIMAL, APPLY ICE, LIMIT ACTIVITY OF THAT WRIST AND TAKE ANALGESICS. if the swelling and the soreness dose not settle in a day or two or if increases immediately consult orthopedic doctor.
take care.
Answered: Sun, 6 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.

According to your description , pain and swelling over your hand, wrist and forearm seems to be inflammatory in nature.

I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination and rule out any infective cause.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Sun, 6 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor